Sunday, January 10, 2016

失智症 Dementia

Papa swung his helmet towards me... My papa was beating me with helmet in the hospital ward, where my mama stayed.. i cried for help, but non of them care about me... because that moment, looks like a family fighting... 

why he beat me? 

Mama stayed hospital due to wound infection.. mama was in fever and was having hallucination... papa was very stress with mama bad condition.. he thought every nurses not helping mama, maid not helping mama.. he tried to kill the maid as well... i tried to stop, and he swung his helmet towards my head... He lost his control, and his hand is shaky... he yell like a mad man... not like my usual papa... i'm scare..

Next few days after the incident, with the police report, i brought papa to visit psychiatric clinic in the same hospital mama stayed. After all the test done on him, i ask if there is any medication or treatment center papa can go.. Doctor said to me "YOU ARE HIS MEDICATION... his sickness: 失智症.. you understand Mandarin?" then, she passed me a booklet... "you have to learn, how to be his medicine... your patience, is necessary..." meanwhile, she wrote something on the slip... "here is the pill i can give you... if you failed, then you feed him this.. else, you will be in danger... try to learn, when is the right moment to feed this pill.. observe... if you finally become his medicine, you don't need to use the pill anymore... patience..."

i'm not a psychiatric doctor... but i'm papa medicine?
i'm panic... seriously... what should i do?
now mama no more here with me, what should i do with papa? 
i'm afraid, i can't be a good medicine for papa... 

Now i create this diary, to write down the Dementia moment/cases of my papa...
As a record of my study, on how to be medicine for papa...
advice me, if my method is wrong... 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be his part of medicine as well. Don't worry. Bring him out rather than staying at home entire day. Getting him some fresh air instead of rotting at home. Even if he refused. Its okay. Wait. Just wait for the right moment. Don't force him. And one thing that I wanna tell. Don't ever rush him. As he will get panicked and shaky. He told me that before. Be patience with him. If he did something bad or get mad without reason, don't be fuss. Understand him. Instead, ask him, papa, why? What happened?(even you knew what happened) Who makes you angry? Rather than you yelling back at him. If he pinpoint someone, just say "Oh! He/she hor..okay, dont worry. I will help you to scold him/her later. You dont angry. Angry will get old faster. I dont want you to get old faster. Must stay young young like now." Having it google-ing and internet-ing all day about how to cure him, its better that you to observe him what he does. Because internet does not have feelings. But human do. Ask juju what he usually does. As she spent more time with him. Understand him. Observe. Greets him morning and night. Have him a glass of warm water after his change in the morning. Kiss him on the forehead when you leave for work and before sleep. Mama not here is not a reason that you can do nothing. Its you. Yourself on how to handle the situation. Patience, time and love is all you need. Spend sometime to sit beside him and talk to him. Even if you have nothing to talk, just quietly sit beside him. You dont have to 24hrs to sit beside him. Give him some space. You can sometimes quietly have a peek on him from the room what he's doing. Listening. Listening is important. By listening you can know what he's trying to deliver to you. Remember every single thing he said. Record it down when he talk to you. You know, he has Alzheimer. He will forget what he said. Replay to him when he forgot. Its not to prove what he had said. But to remind him. Don't treat him like a prisoner. Instead, treat him like a baby. He needs love. Bring him out to eat on weekends. Elderly like companion and 're nao'. Get him surprises. A lil gift. Bring him to exercise on weekends together. Health conscious. Although, im not a psychiatric. That was once my ambition to be one and now too. Not trying to show off. But this is what i could help. I usually observe people's habits and expression. From there, you can know what their lifestyle most likely are and habits. Must be teliti with every single movement he does. In chinese, pepopl say "yan lou hai pou" (cantonese) Ta, jiu shi ni men de bao..(mandarin) I will help to lessen your burden also. I'll treat him as part of my papa. I will bring him out and talk to him sometimes. I know you will be tired after a long day work. Dont worry. You're not alone. Still got me. Us. We all. Huge supporter here. Don't ever get yourself fatigue and pressure. Take good care of yourself before you can take care of papa. Remember that.

fyle said...

Thank you very much.. i'd tried some of your method.. it works...
you are? sorry, yr name is anonymous..

will work hard to take care him... treat him like baby... ^_^